Thursday, December 2, 2010

MyPyramid in physical education classes

In the 'Instructify' blog archives I found a blog addressing the MyPyramid website that is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It has resources for high school/middle school as well as students from ages 6-11 years old. After connecting to the website, it inspired me to want see if any of the resource would help support nutritional objectives of my activity classes, especially in emphasizing the concept that both EXERCISE AND DIET are important for weight maintenance!

Of the many resource, the one I think I will incorporate into my activity classes is the MyPyramid Plan. This resource allows students to select foods from each food group that meets there individual daily caloric expenditure needs. By using graphic representations, as students select different foods that they would eat throughout the day, it shows whether you they chosen more, less or enough calories to maintain your weight on a daily basis. I think that students have a poor understanding of the relationship between exercise, diet and weight managment and this would be a great resource to teach this concept.

Other resources that are available on the website for middle/high school students are the new MyFoodapedia resource which allows students to find information about specific foods as to there calories, what food group they represent, as well as being able to compare two foods. Another resource is the MyPyramid Menu Planner which helps students plan personal menus by searching for food and beverages that stay within their personal MyPyramid goals.

For 6-11 year olds have a great interactive game called Blast Off. Players have to select proper foods and portions in order to power a rocket ship (i.e., your body). Exercise must also be included for a successfull launch. Aaron Fowles states "this graphical teaching tool is full of interactive information to help guide students about their food decisions because students learn to keep an eye on the food group meters, the calorie count and exercise gauges" and good choices lead to an eventual blast off by the rocket. Fowles also states that he uses the blast off game with his ELL students to teach about food and menu planning.

5 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I just tried the Blast Off Game and was impressed with how much information the game gives you. I unfortunately didn't make it to the planet. I guess I better go back and try some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charisse,

    Good to know about the Blast Off game! Since it is for elementary level students I hadn't looked at it yet but wanted to share it as a resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy-
    In Lee's Summit, they use the My Pyramid Plan and Menu planner in Culinary Foundations classes. We took them through a whole menu planning process (3 days worth) where they pick what they are serving and then plug the information into the planner to get totals and read outs to tell them how well they planned their meals. I have also played the Blast Off game before, fun! Overall, mypyramid.gov is a great resource. It also has podcasts that you can use in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I am glad that you found a resource that connects the importance of diet and exercise. One of the biggest struggles I see with our middle school girls is the understanding that a balance between diet and exercise is healthy. As a coach, I need to consistently encourage my cheerleaders to eat every meal. So often they skip meals and do not eat enough to support their exercise routines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the MyPyramid site somewhat, as much as a preschooler can understand. But it certainly can be incorporated with my high school students during the health unit. We focus on nutritious meals and snacks for young children, so this information will be used! I also agree with Sarah about the connection between diet and exercise with students. What I see some of them come in with for breakfast is very unhealthy...

    ReplyDelete